American Retirement Life Insurance Company (ARLIC) Medicare Supplement Review
When you are shopping for a Medicare supplement, you may have stumbled upon American Retirement Medicare supplements, better known as ARLIC or their parent company, Cigna. Before deciding on purchasing their products, you will want to know some information about the company and products.
Cigna ARLIC is one of the many companies we represent and regularly use with our clients. This article will give you background on the company as well as product highlights. We will go through the pros and cons of their products as well and help you decide if ARLIC is a good fit for you.
What is Cigna ARLIC?
Cigna is a worldwide health organization founded in 1982 as a result of a merger of Connecticut General Life Insurance company and the Insurance Company of North America (INA). INA’s roots go all the way back to the early days of the United States in 1792. Over time, Cigna has narrowed its focus to life, health, and disability products. Medicare-related products have become one of their biggest sectors.
In 2018, Cigna ranked 73 among the Fortune 500 and scores an “A” rating by most of the top financial rates sources such as AM Best. Because of their size and strength, they have capabilities in 30 countries with more than 86 million customer relationships throughout the world.
ARLIC is a subsidiary of Cigna. ARLIC stands for the American Retirement Life Insurance Company and was purchased by Cigna in 2012 to launch and market their Senior Life & Health products. Apart from their Medicare supplement products, they offer whole life; cancer, heart attack, and stroke plan; and other supplemental benefit plans.
Highlights of ARLIC’s Medicare Supplements
- 24/7 customer service. Care teams are always available to answer coverage questions and support your health concerns.
- Positive Client Feedback. Among all the Cigna supplement products, ARLIC ranks high among customer satisfaction. Satisfaction is determined by competitive rates, ease of use, and ongoing support.
- Designed with Pre-existing Health Conditions in Mind. Many supplement plans control the flow of new customers by tightening eligibility guidelines. ARLIC has broad acceptability and will insure customers who have had serious medical issues that many companies will reject. Most insurance companies will sort customers into 2 different categories based on health: preferred and standard. ARLIC has created 4 different categories in order to provide Medicare supplement coverage for a larger group of customers.
- Nationwide Coverage and Freedom of Choice. ARLIC will provide coverage throughout the United States and allows freedom to choose your doctor and hospital.
- MyPolicyHQ.com. This online platform allows customers to access policy coverage, set up automatic payments, print ID cards, update personal information, review EOBs, and monitor claims payments.
This chart will give a brief overview of all their plans and coverages. Not every plan is available in every state.
American Retirement Medicare Supplement Prices
*The below rates were generated from zip code 20120 in Centreville, VA for females age 65. Rates vary based on zip code, gender, age and, in some areas, health. Prices are subject to change. Below prices are illustrative only.
- Plan A: $126.80
- Plan F: $157.30
- Plan G: $103.23
- Plan N: $83.34
It’s important to keep in mind that all Medicare supplements are federally standardized. Meaning, they must cover the same exact benefits. This makes shopping around a critical step in the Medicare supplement decision process. Be sure to check out the other important factors that should be driving your Medicare supplement decision.
Reasons Why We Like ARLIC
- 7% Household Discount. If both spouses in a household signup for ARLIC, the total household will receive a 7% discount on the supplement package.
- Health Information Line. 24/7 information line to help you sort out any health questions you may have.
- Low-cost fitness program. ARLIC designed this program to promote and improve your health to prevent future medical issues.
- Cigna Healthy Rewards®. Discounts are available at various vision and hearing providers as well as nutrition and weight-loss programs.
- Competitive Premiums with health issues. Other companies automatically reject seniors with health issues such as COPD, diabetes, neuropathy, cirrhosis, dementia, Alzheimers, angina, stint placement, pacemakers, etc. ARLIC designed rate structures for all those health issues.
- 12-month Rate Guarantee. Once you purchase an ARLIC policy your premium will remain stable during that time.
- Simple Application Process. Most customers can complete 100% of their application over the phone.
- Payment choices. You can pick the monthly payment date.
Are there any negatives?
No company is perfect, but each company in the marketplace has a better fit. This is why we represent so many carriers. It allows us to listen to your specific needs and find the best value for you. We can tailor the perfect product without forcing you into something that doesn’t meet your budget or health concerns.
Because of Cigna’s continued growth as a company, they continue to acquire and create new subsidiaries. Many times this will benefit you greatly because it provides more choices and often more competitive pricing. Sometimes the changes will result in higher rates at renewals. The good news we are able to monitor those changes for you and offer better products if they become available.
In some states, ARLIC often will charge a one-time policy. While this may seem costly, the overall pricing is usually competitive with the policy fee included. Also, ARLIC does not accept credit cards. If you want to mail checks they only accept quarterly, semi-annually and annually. Most insureds choose to do automatic monthly bank withdrawals.
The Bottom Line
ARLIC is one company among many which our agency represents. ARLIC is perfect for those with health problems. Entering retirement after 65 can be scary if you have health issues. Yes, once you turn 65 Medicare is guaranteed, but you know there are gaps in the coverage. The cost of your medical care will overwhelm you if you can’t find coverage for those gaps. ARLIC provides supplemental policies for those gaps, in spite of any serious medical issues.
Maybe, your health isn’t as bad as you think. Talk to us. ARLIC is only one company among many we represent. Understanding each company’s pricing and underwriting is our expertise. We will find the best value for you, so you will be confident about your health and medical future. To shop America Retirement Medicare supplement rates in your area, give us a call.
Prefer to chat by phone? Give us a call at 1-888-227-6836