Last Updated on
Cigna Medicare Supplement Company Review
Last Updated on
One of the top Medicare supplement carriers we offer is Cigna. Along with supplement they do offer the Cigna Medicare Advantage plan. Here, we’ll cover some of the important information about Cigna and three of the Cigna Medicare Supplement plans. We will also give our assessment of their products and why Cigna may be a good choice for your Medicare Supplement.
Who is Cigna?
Cigna is a health service company that provides an array of health products and services to individuals, families, and businesses. Some of these products include health, dental, and pharmacy insurance, as well as Cigna supplemental insurance and Cigna Medicare plans.
As a global company, Cigna has cultivated more than 95 million customer relationships worldwide. It is an A-rated carrier and has earned an “Excellent” review from Consumers Advocate. With 40,000 employees they are able to maintain a high level of customer service. Recently, Cigna has acquired Express Scripts, a pharmaceutical benefit manager. According to Forbes, this will help them improve their prescription drug plans. 1
Cigna traces their roots back more than 200 years. The company we know as Cigna originated in 1982 with the merger of the INA Corporation and the Connecticut General Corporation.
INA was formed in Philadelphia in November of 1792 in the same building where the Declaration of Independence had been signed 16 years prior. They also have the distinction of being the oldest insurance stock company in the US. Connecticut General was incorporated in 1865 right after the end of the Civil War.
Here’s what Consumers Advocate had to say:
“With a robust financial record, a worldwide network of physicians, and substantial customer service support, Cigna should be be a part of anyone’s research for the right Medicare Supplement Insurance plan.” 2
Cigna Subsidiaries and Offered Plans
Some notable companies operate as subsidiaries of Cigna from which you can purchase your Medicare supplemental plan. These include Loyal American Life Insurance (LOYAL), Cigna Health and Life and Retirement (CHLIC), American Retirement Life Insurance Company (ARLIC) and Cigna National Health Insurance Company (CNHIC). Cigna offers the Medicare Supplement Plans A, F, G, and N. Depending on the availability in your state, Cigna plan rates may differ for LOYAL, CHLIC, and ARLIC.
Medicare Supplement Plans offered by Cigna
Three of the most popular Medicare supplement plans offered by Cigna are the Medicare Supplement Plan F, Medicare Supplement Plan G, and Medicare Supplement Plan N. Each plan offers unique benefits and coverage. We’ll compare the three below to give you a sense of where the plans differ and how they can meet your different healthcare needs.
Cigna Medicare Supplement Plan F
Plan F covers all that Medicare does not. This includes helping to pay Medicare deductibles and the 20% coinsurance for Medicare services. Plan F covers both Part A and Part B deductibles. The fact that it covers the Part B deductible, as well as Part B’s excess charges is what sets it apart from nearly all other plans.
Plan F accounts for more than 57% of all active Supplement policies. It is also the most expensive plan because of its comprehensive nature. Even with increasing rates in Plan F, it is apparent many retirees feel it’s worth the investment because of the broad coverage.
The government is retiring Plan F on January 1, 2020. However, if you purchase Plan F now or currently own the Plan you will be grandfathered as long as your billing remains current.
Overall, this plan offers the most coverage with the lowest out-of-pocket costs. This is what makes it the most popular plan, but also why it has the highest monthly premium has been susceptible to rate increases.
Cigna Medicare Supplement Plan G
Plan G is nearly identical to Plan F’s comprehensive coverage, except for one major difference: it does not cover the Part B deductible. However, Plan G may make up for this in other ways.
Plan G is the cheaper alternative to Plan F. You get all the benefits of Plan for a much lower premium.
For example, it is possible you end up saving more by paying for the Part B deductible due to Plan G’s lower premium, while also taking into account that Plan G tends to have lesser rate increases than Plan F.
We can provide quotes for both Plan F & G. If the savings is much greater than the potential deductible, then going with Plan G will help you keep healthcare dollars in your pocket.
Cigna Medicare Supplement Plan N
Plan N is the newest and most affordable of the supplement plans.
Cigna’s Plan N coverage is similar to Plan G, however, there are co-pays associated with it. With Plan N you are responsible for co-payments up to $20 when visiting the doctor’s office and up to $50 for the emergency room.
Additionally, Plan N does not cover the Part B deductible. However, due to the potential need to pay for more out-of-pocket health expenses, this plan results in a lower monthly premium.
Again, like Plan G, it worth getting a quote for Plan N. The savings may be substantial and if you are a healthy individual with little medical costs Plan N could be a great financial decision.
Rates can vary based on the company you choose and where you live. We have provided rates for a state with average rates, you mind find your location to be cheaper or slightly more expensive.
The below rates were generated from ZIP code 73008 in Bethany, OK for females age 65. Rates vary based on ZIP code, gender, age and, in some areas, health.
- Plan A: $104.09
- Plan F: $128.81
- Plan G: $103.55
- Plan N: $87.96
It’s important to keep in mind that all Medicare supplements are federally standardized. Meaning, they must cover the same exact benefits. This makes shopping around a critical step in the Medicare supplement decision process. Be sure to check out the other important factors that should be driving your Medicare supplement decision.
Benefits of Choosing a Cigna Medicare Supplemental Plan
Finding the right Medicare Supplemental plan can offer you not only peace of mind but significant reductions in out-of-pocket health costs not covered by Medicare.
There are some noteworthy aspects of Cigna that differentiate it from other Medicare supplement providers. For starters, Cigna offers great coverage and service at competitive rates with plans that cover you throughout the U.S. You can also enroll in Cigna’s Health Rewards to take advantage of the following discounts:
- Gym memberships
- Yoga equipment
- Vitamins and other health products
- Chiropractic work and massage
- Organic Food discounts
Additionally, Cigna offers discounts for vision and hearing care, such as eyewear and vision exams, Lasik vision correction, hearing aids and exams, and hearing protection devices.
Medicare supplement insurance through Cigna also does not require in-network doctors and will work with any provider that accepts Medicare.
We also find that many of our customers like Cigna because of their ease of use and customer experience.
They have the following benefits:
- Easy to use customer portal
- Electronic application via the website
- Quick Policy approval in just 1 to 3 days
- Access to their highly rated Health Information Line, a 24/7 phone service staffed by real nurses
- 12-month lock-in rate, no increases in the first year
- Access to 880,000 healthcare providers around the U.S.
- Household discounts
- Guaranteed renewable plans that cannot be canceled due to health conditions
- A U.S-based customer service team
- No referral requirements to see a medical specialist
- Foreign medical coverage
Rating organizations continue to agree that Cigna Medicare plans continue to rate highly in a wide variety of customer satisfaction surveys. One reason Cigna ranks so high is they continue to invest in technology that provides superior customer experience. The development of their health lines and customer service teams also contribute to their high ranking. Because of these features, it makes it easy for us to recommend Cigna more many of our customers.
Here a handful of reviews from Cigna Medicare Supplement customers:
- Virginia of Norwalk, CA “Cigna Medicare has been really good for someone like me. I shopped around and chose Cigna Medicare based on what my friends suggested. It’s easy for me to navigate on their site and chose the provider I need in my area. Billing is easy to figure out and I still receive physical mail. They’re also really easy to deal with over the phone. I like that when I go to the doctors, they’re familiar with my insurance and it is easy.”
- Fabian of San Diego, CA The program Health Net Sapphire has many benefits for its members like free transportation to doctors appointments, unlimited GIM pass with SilverSneakers program. It’s designed for seniors disabled people like me that need the best health insurance in the market today. Everything that the program stands for and includes is perfect for persons like me that needs rides to my appointments and also need to take advantage of the gym program SilverSneakers. I like all about the Health Net company. All the member benefits like $500 in credit for any custom glasses of your choice, rides to and from doctor’s office up to 100 rides a year.”
- Jeni of Sunnyvale, CA Cigna Medicare is a great choice I made and really enjoying the benefits. The processing of claims was fast, and the response time for any support calls is good. Also, the doctor’s network is high and we could consult with all the specialist providers as well. I like the claim processing, detailed billing, customer support, great seasonal updates, wider coverage, less copay. It offers great pharmacy coverage as well for drugs.”
As you can tell we like the Cigna advantage. But are there any negatives we have found.
Like every insurance company, the rates and underwriting may not be the best fit for you. That’s why it is helpful to use a broker with access to many different carriers.
Cigna, unfortunately, is not available in every state. But where it is available, we find the customer to be extremely satisfied with the value they receive.
What is the best Cigna Supplement Insurance Plan?
As you can see from the points listed above, Cigna supplement plans aim to cover the different needs of its customers through variable adjustments. Its plans range from completely comprehensive to more value-driven. The best Cigna Medicare plan will differ depending on the customer. Deciding between the three will come down to your health and lifestyle needs balanced against your financial goals and budget.
A licensed agent can help you determine which plan best fits your needs. Connect directly with one of our agents to get the plan that’s right for you.
Frequently Asked Questions
We think we have addressed most questions you might have about Cigna, but there are questions we often get when discussing with our customers.
What is a copay?
- A copy is a fee that you pay to a health provider, such as a doctor. Usually, these fees are small, $10 – $25 is the norm. Depending on your health insurance prior to Medicare, you may have paid these on doctor visits. The payments will not reduce your deductible calculation. Copays protect healthcare costs by preventing people from abusing frequent doctor visits.
What is coinsurance?
- Coinsurance is the percentage that you are responsible for paying after the insurance pays its portion. A typical coinsurance percentage is 20 percent. The rate can vary based on the service you receive. Emergency services sometimes have higher percentages than family doctor visits.
What is a deductible?
- A deductible is the amount of money you must pay before insurance pays for any services. Deductibles protect the health care system. They keep patients vigilant with billing and keep the system from being clogged by people visiting doctors and emergency rooms for frivolous reasons.
Does Cigna offer a Medigap policy?
- Yes. A Medigap policy is another word for a Medicare Supplement plan because it fills the gap left by traditional Medicare coverage.
The Bottom Line
We’ve had a great track record offering Cigna as one of our insurance carriers. From the customer reviews we’ve received, and the strong reputation Cigna has built, we recommend Cigna plans with confidence. We know that Cigna offers people great value in their plans, along with reliable choices that meet the needs of different individuals.
We love connecting people with the right insurance plans.
Learn more about the Cigna Supplement Insurance Plans by connecting directly with one of our trusted agents.
Prefer to speak by phone? Give us a call!